|Émietté d'esquinade à l'huile de curry is an excellent example of a dish where a demonstration was very helpful to understand all the techniques. Once all the pieces are created which can be done well in advance the dish is assembled.
- Using a mandolin, thinly slice a white potato no thicker than 1 mm. Cut slices into right triangles, 3 by 6 cm. Six are required for each serving.
- Place slices on oiled, non-stick baking sheet. Lightly brush the top surface with olive oil. Sprinkle each potato triangle with fine salt and paprika.
- Bake until potato slices start to brown in a 385 °F oven.
- Set aside to cool.
- Using a small leek, about 2 cm in diameter, cut and clean a 6 to 7 cm long section of the white portion. Make a single lengthwise cut to center and lay out the layers of leek flat on a cutting board. Julienne lengthwise very, very thinly.
- Separate leek strips and soak in ice water until curly. Drain well on paper towels and set aside.
- Cut chives into 7 cm long pieces and set aside.
- Prepare a court bouillon using wine, carrots, onions, celery, and water. Bring to a boil and add orange zest, star anise, white wine, and vinegar.
- Bring to a boil again. Add live crab and cook for 1 minute. Remove and set aside to cool.
- When cool, remove meat from crab and shred.
- Combine turmeric and curry powder with olive oil. Let infuse over night.
- Strain the infusion through a kitchen towel and set aside flavored-oil aside. Discard spices.
- Reduce balsamic vinegar by half and set aside.
Mayonnaise and Crab Mixture:
- Mix an egg yolk with an equal amount of Dijon mustard. Make a thick mayonnaise using grapeseed oil. Finish with a small amount of olive oil, salt and wine vinegar.
- Combine mayonnaise with an equal amount of shredded crab. Set aside.
- Peel and seed an avocado. Place in the bowl of a food processor, add lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon garlic purée.
- Process with olive oil into smooth purée. Season with Tabasco sauce and salt. Set aside.